HomeVoorhees NewsTwo towns collaborate on more space for preschool students

Two towns collaborate on more space for preschool students

The Voorhees school district is collaborating with Gibbsboro schools on a shared-service agreement that will benefit preschool children in both communities.

The partnership marks a significant step toward expanding early-childhood education facilities. Following an extensive search to accommodate a growing number of preschoolers, Voorhees acquired a property at 250 Haddonfield-Berlin Road in Gibbsboro. Set to open for the 2024-2025 school year, the site will be developed into the Voorhees Early Childhood Development Center.

- Advertisement -

The facility will be designed to cater to 360 children from both towns, a key component of Voorhees’ ambitious five-year plan to serve 500 preschool students by the 2026-2027 school year.

Upcoming renovations are planned for the two-story building and will be supported by a $6-million preschool facilities expansion grant from the New Jersey Department of Education. The funds will cover 40% of the estimated project costs, with the Voorhees district covering the remaining 60% from its capital reserves.

The renovation plan includes a new playground that will be available to nearby residents after school hours and on weekends.

Monica Watson, president of the Voorhees school district board of education, expressed her enthusiasm for the project.

“The new Early Childhood Development Center is a shining example of what can be achieved when school districts collaborate to offer high-quality, inclusive early-learning opportunities,” she said. “This state-of-the-art facility will provide our youngest learners with the strong foundation necessary for their future academic success.”

Under their five-year agreement, Gibbsboro will utilize five of the classrooms while Voorhees will use the remaining 19. Each classroom is approximately 950 square feet and designed to accommodate 15 children. The district will also continue using three private preschool providers and the classrooms at Kresson Elementary School.

Joyce Miller, Gibbsboro’s board of education president, highlighted some benefits of the new center.

“Our collaboration with Voorhees in this shared Early Childhood Development Center will enable more Gibbsboro families to enroll their children in full-day preschool at no cost,” she noted. “It will also free up space for our K-8 students to expand in crucial areas like technology, literacy and world languages during the school day.”

The Voorhees school district plans to host community forums to provide more information about the new center and address any questions. Further details will be announced soon.


Stay Connected

- Advertisment -

Current Issue