Camden County is currently under a Code Orange Fine Particles Action Day Alert due to smoke traveling from wildfires in eastern Canada. This alert means that the air is unhealthy to breathe, and sensitive members of the public – including those with heart or lung disease, the elderly and young people – may experience health effects.
“We recommend for everyone to try to minimize the time they are spending outside or exerting energy but if you must be outside for more than 30 minutes, please wear a high-quality face mask like a KN 95 or an N95,” said Dr. Paschal Nwako, Camden County’s Health Officer. “Conditions should improve by this evening but in the meantime, all residents should exercise caution and monitor any respiratory symptoms.”
Residents are strongly encouraged to take precautions to protect themselves and their loved ones during this Code Orange Action Day. Residents should:
- Strongly consider cancelling outdoor events and gatherings
- Avoid going outdoors as much as possible
- Avoid excessive activities outdoors, such as jogging or exercising
- If you have to go outdoors, wear a high-quality mask, like an N-95 or KN-95 mask
- Avoid areas of high congestion and where air pollution may be high, like main streets or highways, areas with low air circulation
- Close all windows and doors to minimize air pollution in your home
- Recirculate the air in your home with fans to avoid bringing more air pollution into your home
- Pay attention to their bodies; if they are having trouble breathing, feeling nauseous, or dizzy, they should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
“To further reduce the amount of pollution across the county, we are also asking residents to avoid unnecessary trips in their cars, avoid idling and carpool, if possible,” Nwako continued. “We also encourage residents to not use gas-powered lawn and garden equipment at this time.”
Several outdoor activities have also been canceled Thursday and Friday due to the poor air quality. The following activities have been canceled:
- June 8, Thursday Afternoon Yoga
- June 9 – Friday Cardio on the Cooper
- June 9- Movies in the Park – Harry Potter at the Dell
The Health Department and the Office of Emergency Management will continue to monitor the air quality and provide updates as they become available.