Deptford Township Mayor and Council and the League of Municipalities is proud to announce the Louis Bay 2nd Future Municipal Leaders Scholarship Competition for high school juniors and seniors planning to continue their education after high school.
Deptford Township has teamed up with the NJSLM to offer three $1,000 scholarships through the Louis Bay 2nd Future Municipal Leaders Scholarship Competition. This statewide scholarship competition this year centers on the theme: “What My Municipal Government Does Best” and seeks to advance the virtues of elected and volunteer members of the municipal government. Many of the elected officials and appointed board members serve the municipality for little or no compensation.
We hope this scholarship competition will help encourage and energize future municipal leaders.
The deadline for submission is March 10, 2023. The competition is open to all high school juniors and seniors who are residents of New Jersey and plan to continue their education after high school.
Mayor Paul Medany hopes that our students will take full advantage of the annual Louis Bay 2nd Future Municipal Leaders Scholarship Competition, not only to gain a better understanding of public service through local government, but also to enjoy the opportunity of earning a $1,000 scholarship.
- Complete the application and essay. – Found on website at www.deptford-nj.org
- Return those materials to: Mayor Paul Medany, 1011 Cooper Street, Deptford, NJ 08096. Please write “Louis Bay 2nd Competition” on the front of the envelope. You may also return by email to email@example.com
**Regional or private high school students: Please note that the application and essay must be returned to your hometown mayor, not the mayor of the municipality where your school is located, unless that is your hometown. **
- The mayor or his designated committee will select one semifinalist from your municipality.
- All entrants will receive a certificate of participation from the mayor’s office.
- The winner from each municipality will be designated as a state semifinalist. Semifinalists will have their essays and applications reviewed by the Scholarship Committee of the New Jersey State League of Municipalities.
- All state semifinalists will receive a certificate attesting to their status as state semifinalists.
- The Scholarship Committee will select 15 finalists and three winners.
- The 15 finalists will each be awarded finalist certificates. The three winners will each be awarded $1,000 by their mayor at a hometown ceremony.
- Winners’ essays will be featured in the New Jersey Municipalities magazine.
- Presentation of scholarship awards will be announced between May 9 to May 25.