In an effort to teach residents how to make butterfly gardens, grow vegetables and safely use pesticides without damaging the environment, the county board of commissioners and its Certified Gardeners have announced their 2023 Home Gardening School lineup.
“These classes are designed for individuals with an interest in gardening, horticulture and the environment,” said Commissioner Director Frank J. DiMarco. “All individuals are welcome, whether experienced gardeners or novices.”
“These classes are a great way to introduce yourself to home gardening. Our Certified Gardeners are experts in their field with a lot of information to share,” said Commissioner Lyman Barnes, liaison to the group. “We’ll explore topics like entomology, houseplant care, vegetable gardening and composting. Gardening can build self-esteem, relieve stress, give you a boost of Vitamin C and benefit the whole family once your hard work pays off.”
Classes are held on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to noon at the Gloucester County Clayton Complex, 1200 N. Delsea Dr., Clayton. Dates and topics are as follows:
- Jan. 18: plant propagation
- Jan. 25: basic entomology
- Feb. 1: insects and mites of ornamentals
- tes of ornamentals
- Feb. 8: pesticide use and safety
- Feb. 15: caring for your lawn
- Feb. 22: houseplants
- March 1: integrated pest management
- March 15: weed identification and control
- March 29: plant pathology.
- April 5: gardening for butterflies and other pollinators
- April 12: home vegetable gardening
- April 19: annuals and perennials;
- April 26: native plants
- May 3: tree fruit and small fruit
- May 10: insects that infest the home
- May 16: Get the Dirt on Soil and Composting.
The fee is $15 per class or $10 per class for groups of five or more. Pre-registration is requested but not required. For information, brochures, or to register, contact the Office of Land Preservation, (856) 224-8045, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the Certified Gardeners, visit https://www.gloucestercountynj.gov/399/Certified-Gardeners-Program.