New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today are reminding motorists of overnight ramp closures tonight on I-76 eastbound and Route 42 northbound, as the Direct Connection project advances in Bellmawr, Camden County.
NJDOT’s contractor, South State, Inc., is scheduled to close the I-76 eastbound Exit 1A ramp to I-295 southbound beginning at 9 p.m. tonight, Thursday, December 9 until 6 a.m. Friday, Dec. 10. The closure is necessary to repair highway lighting fixtures.
Upon completion of the repairs on the I-76 Exit 1A ramp, the Route 42 northbound Exit 1B ramp to I-295 northbound will be closed tonight, Thursday, December 9, until 5 a.m. Friday, December 10 to repair highway lighting fixtures. If the work is not completed tonight, the Route 42 northbound Exit 1B ramp to I-295 northbound may be closed Friday, December 10 from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. Saturday, December 11. Motorists should use caution, slow down in the work area, and move over if possible. The following detours will be in place:
I-76 eastbound Exit 1A ramp to I-295 southbound detour:
- Motorists traveling on I-76 eastbound to I-295 southbound will be directed to take Exit 1B to I-295 northbound, which is before Exit 1A
- Take Exit 28/Route 168
- Turn left at the end of the ramp onto Route 168
- Take the ramp to I-295 southbound
Route 42 north Exit 1B ramp to I-295 northbound detour:
- Motorists traveling on Route 42 northbound wishing to take Exit 1B to I-295 northbound will be directed to continue on Route 42 northbound to I-76 westbound
- Take I-76 westbound to Exit 2/I-676 northbound
- Take I-676 northbound to Exit 1/Collings Avenue
- Turn right onto Collings Avenue
- Turn left onto I-676 southbound which becomes I-76 eastbound
- Take Exit 1B to I-295 northbound
The work is part of the Direct Connection project that will provide a seamless route for I-295 motorists traveling through the interchange of I-295, I-76, and Route 42. To sign up for I-295 Direct Connect project updates go to 295DirectConnect.com or text CONNECT to 1-844-844-3681.
Portable variable message signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors.
Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information, and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NewJerseyDOT or on the NJDOT Facebook page.