The Camden County RECOVERS Rental Assistance Program, which draws $15 million from funding provided by the U.S. Department of Treasury, is aimed at supporting low income renters at risk of losing their homes or facing an eviction threat due to lost employment or income caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Camden County Rental Assistance Program now makes available up to 12 months of back rent (capped at the Fair Market Rent) and utilities. While tenants will apply to take part in the program, payments will be made directly to landlords and utility companies.
In order to qualify for Rental Assistance Program, tenants must meet the following eligibility and rules:
- Tenants cannot earn more than 80% of Average Area Median Income (AMI);
- Tenant qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19
- Demonstrates a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability i.e. passed due notices, eviction notices etc.
- Applicants will be required to provide proof of loss/reduction in employment or income;
- No duplication of funds will be permitted – apartments/landlords which are funded under the State’s tenant assistance program or Section 8 or months paid for by the previous program are not eligible;
- Landlords must agree to waive late fees and penalties accrued from March 2020 to present; and
- Priority will be given to households making less than 50% AMI, or currently on unemployment.
Applications for the program will be awarded on a first come, first served basis, and will be accepted until all available funds have been awarded.
If you have issues with completing the application or general questions concerning the Camden County RECOVERS Rental Assistance Grant please contact 856-389-6704, Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Assistance with completing your Rental Assistance Grant application is available at all Camden County Libraries during normal business hours.
The deadline for applications is Oct. 30, 2021.