Camden County Commissioner Al Dyer has been notified by the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) that Creek Road will be closed this weekend to shift traffic onto the newly constructed portion of the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 as the I-295/Route 42 project advances in Bellmawr.
“Motorists should plan an alternate route avoiding Creek Road this weekend as work continues on this multi-year project,” said Dyer, liaison to the Camden County Department of Public Works. “When the overall project is completed, it will alleviate much of the traffic congestion currently experienced on a daily basis. It will be a monumental change for this highway interchange creating a substantial upgrade to the current configuration.”
Beginning at 9 p.m. Friday, August 27, until 6 a.m., Monday, August 30, NJDOT is scheduled to close and detour Creek Road between Booth Drive and Essex Avenue to pave, relocate construction barrier and restripe the roadway in order to shift traffic onto the newly constructed westbound side of the bridge. Local access will be maintained. If work is completed earlier, the road will reopen sooner. The following signed detour will be in place:
Creek Road westbound detour:
• Motorists traveling westbound on Creek Road will be directed to take a left onto Edgewood Avenue
• Turn right onto Leaf Avenue
• Take the ramp onto Route 42 north which becomes I-76 north
• Take Exit 1C/Route 130 southbound
• At the end of the ramp, turn left onto Market Street
• Turn left onto Route 130 south
• At the traffic circle follow signs for Creek Road and take the fourth exit for Route 130 north
• Keep right and turn onto Old Salem Road • Turn left onto Creek Road
Creek Road eastbound detour:
• Motorists traveling on Route 47 northbound wishing to turn right onto Creek Road eastbound will be directed to continue into the traffic circle
• Take the first exit onto Route 130 northbound
• Turn right onto West Browning Road back to Creek Road
During this stage of construction, traffic will be shifted to the newly constructed westbound side of the bridge with one lane maintained in each direction to allow for the demolition and reconstruction of the eastbound side of the bridge. NJDOT will provide advance notice before any 2 lane closures or traffic shifts are implemented. This stage of the project is expected to be completed by the summer 2021.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors.