On June 20, the Cherry Hill African American Civic Association celebrated and honored 12 Cherry Hill High School seniors through the annual scholarship award program. Traditionally, the Cherry Hill African American Civic Association holds an annual Cherry Blossom Scholarship Jazz Luncheon to honor seniors with a variety or scholarships and awards donated by long-time supporters and members of the Association. This year, due to COVID-19, the annual luncheon was replaced with a safe, socially distant award parade to each of the 12 student recipients homes. The event brought together CHAACA’s Executive Board, CHAACA members, local Cherry Hill officials, award recipients and their families for a special moment to take photos and receive his/her gifts and awards.
The 12 scholarship award students were selected by a committee for their achievements and excellence in school in a variety of areas ranging from academic to extra-curricular. With students from both Cherry Hill High School East and Cherry Hill High School West receiving scholarships, this annual award celebration served as a unifying highlight event for African American families across Cherry Hill, and in light of the recent negative events traumatizing the African American community across the nation, it is imperative that we take the time to ensure these students are highlighted, celebrated, and encouraged.
This year’s scholarship recipients are as follows:
- Jarren P. Andrade — Ethel Murray-Saxon Scholarship
- Erin E. Allen — Ravitz Scholarship
- Noah K. Bereketab — Chanette Orange Memorial Scholarship
- Ketsia B. Bongwele — Lewis Trailblazer Scholarship
- Dominique A. Brown — LH Chapman LLC Scholarship
- Michela D. Kennedy — South Jersey Medical Society Scholarship
- Sade D. Willingham — Lewis Trailblazer Scholarship
- Tyler A. Tinsley — Ravitz Scholarship
- Okorie R. Obinna — Dr. Robin Miller Scholarship
- Jayden T. Moore — Yolanda Mapp MD Memorial Scholarship
- Madiana G. Mansaray — Lewis Trailblazer Scholarship
- Christopher D. Williams Jr. — CHAACA Scholarship