At the request of some business owners, the Borough of Palmyra’s Business and Community Development and Public Safety Committees have reviewed changes to parking ordinances that pertain to the downtown business district.
To address growing concerns on the parking issue, the Palmyra Borough Council held a special meeting Feb. 27 to focus on several new changes to downtown ordinances. According to Mayor Gina Tait, the updates will help the business district.
“We’re hoping that these changes will help our business district,” she said. “Another thing that we were worried about were the people that come and park all day long. That doesn’t help our businesses. Hopefully we can stop that.
“The police chief did do some random checks to see where the cars that were parking all day were from and usually they weren’t from Palmyra, they were from other areas,” Tait added.
“We do want people to come in from outside and do business and shop with our businesses, but we have to fix the parking issues.”
Changes presented by the council include the following:
North Broad St. also known as Main Broad
- The North side or business side will feature two-hour parking from the firehouse to Morgan Avenue between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday to Sunday.
- Fifteen-minute parking will take place in two locations, one of four horizontal spots in front of Palmyra Pharmacy on East Broad Street and one in front of Dollar Store on West Broad Street. Handicap parking will also be in two locations, one in front of the Santander Bank parking lot on East Broad Street and one at the West Broad Street firehouse.
- For street cleaning purposes there will be no parking on Fridays between 7 and 8 a.m. The borough is considering making this day coincident with trash collection day.
On the railroad tracks side known as South side, there will be no restrictions or changes proposed as of now. All areas on this side will remain as they are.
In regard to South Broad Street — also known as Little Broad west of Cinnaminson Avenue — there will be no changes proposed to the north side or railroad track side across from borough hall or the community center.
- East of Cinnaminson Avenue on the south side near the Wawa parking lot and Kaffir Thai side, two-hour parking from Wawa’s parking lot to Garfield avenue will be added.
- The north side by the Light Rail Station will see no changes, but the borough parking lot from the entrance on Cinnaminson Avenue to the entrance and exit of Leconey Avenue will have three-hour parking between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday through Sunday
- Cinnaminson Avenue west side of the 500 block, where parking is currently permitted, will be two-hour parking from North Broad Street to the end of the last business or beginning of a residence between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday to Sunday.
- There will be no restrictions from first residence north to 5th Street. The one-hour parking restriction will be eliminated and 15-minute parking will be put in one location at the spot closest to North Broad Street.
- Also, for the two-hour time limit on 600 blocks, the borough will eliminate timed parking on the 600 blocks of Chestnut, Garfield, Highland, Lincoln, Morgan, Parry, Walnut and Washington.
- New time limit parking will be at the following: Two-hour parking on the west side of the 600 block of Parry Avenue and the curb line adjacent to War Memorial Park. There are no restrictions on the east or residence side.
- Two-hour parking on the west side of the 600 block of Garfield Avenue from South Broad Street to first residence across from Islamic Center of South Jersey.
The governing body will be considering these changes in the Spring. For residents that may have questions or concerns, they can contact Borough Hall at 856-829-1476