The Gloucester County Animal Shelter would like to share helpful reminders on how residents can adopt shelter pets or donate to help animals during the holiday season.
For families looking to adopt from the shelter this holiday season, the last day of release for animals will be Friday, Dec. 20. This cutoff is due to newly adopted animals requiring time to become acclimated to their new home before the rush of the holiday. The animal shelter will resume the release of animals again on Wednesday, Dec. 26 at noon.
Freeholder Director Robert M. Damminger said, “I know that the idea of a dog or cat under the tree can be hard to resist, but putting a pet bowl or collar in a box can also be exciting and eliminate stress for both the new pet and the family on Christmas day.”
Freeholder Deputy Director Frank J. DiMarco, Liaison to the Gloucester County Animal Shelter, said, “If bringing a new pet into your home isn’t viable at the moment, you can still make an animal’s holiday season special. The shelter accepts both monetary and physical donations that benefit the animals and helps to provide them with basic necessities.”
Cleaning supplies needed include:
- Fabric softener sheets
- Anti-bacterial hand soap (any type)
- Spray Bottles (16oz-22oz)
- Bleach, Laundry Detergent – HE only please
- Cascade powdered dishwasher detergent
- Paper towels
Food items needed include:
- Canned cat food with pull tops
- Small animal food (guinea pig, hamster, rabbit, ferret, etc.)
- Dog and cat treats
- No rawhide please
- Wild bird seed
- Animal Supplies
- Hard rubber dog toys (ex. Kong Brand)
- Plastic balls and Catnip toys for cats
- Naturalized sterilized bones (hickory flavor is best)
Miscellaneous supplies needed include:
- Lint brushes (disposable), New or Used towels and blankets
- Newspapers, Heating Pads, Paper Plates 6” round Used tennis balls, Sticky note pads
- AA or AAA batteries
- Duct tape, Clear gallon size zipper bags, Small coffee cans
- Frontline or Advantage for dogs and cats
- PetsMart Gift Cards
- Cat Carriers
If you have a doghouse or kennel you would like to donate, contact the GCAS at (856) 881-2828 for information on how to donate them for other pets in need.
The Adoption Office at the Gloucester County Animal Shelter is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from noon to 7 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from noon to 4 p.m., and is closed on Sunday, Monday and holidays.
For questions about adopting a pet from the Gloucester County Animal Shelter, call (856) 881-2828, or visit www.co.gloucester.nj.us/depts/a/shelter/adoption.asp to fill out an application for adoption. The GCAS is located at 1200 N. Delsea Drive, Clayton.