The Berlin Police Department has an ongoing process seeking well qualified applicants for the position of SLEO II Officer. Applicants must currently possess a New Jersey Police Training Commission Certificate as a SLEO II Officer through completion of the Police Academy.
Applications must be picked up in person at the Berlin Police Department Headquarters between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday and returned completed prior to 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 1, to the attention of Chief Millard Wilkinson. No phone calls will be accepted regarding the application process. Questions regarding requirements can be emailed to Lieutenant T.J. Varano at email@example.com
The SLEO II is a part time member of the Police Department. The SLEO Class II will be required to work Municipal Court three (3) Monday’s a month and provide essential public safety and law enforcement services for the department. While working, SLEO Class II officers shall be authorized to exercise full powers and duties similar to those of a permanent, regularly appointed officer. The SLEO Class II will work 29.5 hours per week.
• Must be United States Citizen
• Possess a High School diploma or equivalent
• In lieu of the preferred college requirement, the applicant may substitute four years of active military service with an honorable discharge.
•A minimum of two years of service in a NJ law enforcement agency will also be acceptable in lieu of a college degree
• New Jersey resident, with a valid New Jersey Driver’s License
• Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Have and demonstrate good moral character and have not been convicted of any crime constituting an indictable offense or any offense involving moral turpitude which will be verified by a thorough background investigation
• NJ PTC Certified Class II (SLEO Class II) certificate or enrolled at an accredited NJ Police Academy graduating before September of 2019 is recommended but not mandatory
• Must pass a drug test
• Must pass a Psychological and Medical examination
• Cannot have an existing obligation under NJSA 40A:14-178
All applications will be reviewed and only those applicants chosen to move forward in the hiring process will be contacted. All applications and resumes will be kept on file.
Berlin Borough is an equal opportunity employer