On May 21, several unsecured vehicles were burglarized within the township. Vehicle burglary is a crime of opportunity. You can prevent vehicle burglaries by removing your valuables from your vehicle and locking them in a safe place. Below are some burglary prevention tips:
- Remove visible items from your vehicle. If you leave items visible in your car, you are a target. Be aware that someone may be watching as you put a wallet, purse, or cell phone under your seat, especially at a gym. Take these with you or secure them in your trunk.
- Lock Up! Lock your vehicle and take your keys, even for quick errands.
- Lock the trunk, hatchback or tailgate to block access into the vehicle.
- Close all windows, including vent or wing windows and sunroofs.
- Vehicle alarms: Many people believe that alarms no longer make a difference; however, they do remain an effective deterrent to a burglar.
Remember, criminals are looking for the easy target. Do not attach personal information to your keys. If your keys are stolen, having your personal information or vehicle license number attached only compounds the problem. A criminal now may have access to your home, automobile or office.
- Do not leave outgoing or incoming mail in your car, especially where visible. This has your name and address on it.
- Garage Door Opener – Avoid leaving this in your car if possible.
- Avoid announcing your vacation on social media. It is easier than you think to look up your address.
Park Safely! At home, park in your garage if you have one. Lock your car and all garage doors. Park in a well-lit area. Check to see that your vehicle is visible from pedestrian and vehicular traffic. Record the serial numbers and other pertinent information such as make a model for your electronic devices (GPS, laptops, tablets, etc.) and cell phones.
Report anyone that is seen trying door handles, looking in cars or loitering in the parking lot. If the burglary is in progress, call 911. The call taker will ask you who you are and where you are calling from. Then, they will ask you to describe the suspect (race, sex, height, weight and clothing description). If the burglary has already occurred, call 856-589-0911. Do not get inside of the car to see what’s missing because you may be destroying evidence needed to catch the burglar. Report suspicious people or activities to us immediately.