Press release from Gloucester County.
The Gloucester County Department of Public Works will be brining emergency routes, overpasses and major county roadways throughout the next few days in anticipation for the anticipated wintery mix that may impact the region of the next several days.
Freeholder Director Robert Damminger said, “The public works crews take excellent care of the 410 miles of county roadways. We ask that when you see our crews working that you take your time and give them plenty of space.”
Freeholder Heather Simmons, Liaison to Public Works said, “The county’s trucks are prepared and loaded with salt. We have 7,000 tons of salt on hand throughout the county and 10,000 gallons of brine. We always are working to keep our roadways safe and we ask that motorists minimize travel whenever possible during icy and snowing conditions.”
The Public Works Department generally will not plow roads until there is upward of two inches of snow on the ground. They may spread salt on overpasses and icy areas and, when necessary, push slush off the roadways.
The Gloucester County Office of Emergency Response may put a Code Blue Plan into effect if the temperatures drop. Code Blue is put into effect when the temperature is 32 with precipitation, 27 degrees without, or if there is a sustained wind chill of 32 for more than two hours.
Given that the forecast currently predicts temperatures and conditions necessitating Code Blue, accommodations would be through the First Call for Help arrangements are listed below.
Damminger said, “We have been working with our local community partners on this plan to provide information, and potentially direct assistance, to those homeless in their communities in need of, and receptive to, shelter from the elements.”
Gloucester County Code Blue Homeless Hotline 1-(800) 648–0132.
The First Call for Help, Homeless Hotline is staffed 24 hours per day throughout the week. The above toll-free Homeless Hotline contact number is the designated entry point for all Code Blue shelter placements for residents of Gloucester County.
For residents in need of warming centers during the day the following locations are available:
Warming Center Locations (mainly weekdays)
- Glassboro Senior Center (152 S. Delsea Dr., Glassboro), (856) 881-6610, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Glassboro Library (2 Center St., Glassboro), (856) 881-0001, Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Greenwich Library (411 Swedesboro Rd., Greenwich Township), (856) 423-0684, Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Logan Library (498 Beckett Rd., Logan Township), (856) 241-0491, Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Mullica Hill Library (389 Wolfert Station Rd., Mullica Hill), (856) 223-6000, Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Newfield Library (115 Catawba Ave., Newfield), (856) 697-0415, Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Mantua Township Community Center (111 Mercer Ave., Sewell), (856) 468-4773, Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Pfeiffer Community Center (301 Blue Bell St., Williamstown), (856) 728-1140, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Gloucester County Division of Social Services (400 Hollydell Dr., Sewell),
(856) 582-9200, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Every first and third Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Swedesboro Library (1422 Kings Hwy., Swedesboro), (856) 467-0111, Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Second Baptist Church, Paulsboro Nutrition Site (1534 Pine St., Paulsboro), (856) 423-3387, from 9 a.m. to noon.
- Shady Lane Nursing Home (256 County House Rd., Clarksboro), (856) 224-6979, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Thorofare Fire Hall Nutrition Site, (Firehouse Road, Thorofare), (856) 853-6496, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.