The Food Bank of South Jersey is offering ways to give back for hunger action month.
September is Hunger Action Month — a time when advocates across the nation come together to raise awareness about the nearly 40 million Americans facing hunger. This month, the Food Bank of South Jersey is offering the local community various ways to join in the fight against hunger.
“When people think about hunger they may not realize how close to home hunger can be,” said Joe Njoroge, Interim President & CEO, Food Bank of South Jersey. “In South Jersey, there are nearly 200,000 people who are living in food-insecure households. In the spirit of Hunger Action Month, we are asking people to get involved and help their food-insecure neighbors in South Jersey.”
- GIVE40 — In South Jersey there are more than 40,000 children who do not know where their next meal is coming from. The Food Bank of South Jersey is asking those who wish to make a charitable difference to text GIVE40 to 1(844) 544–7171 to donate $40 to help the more than 40,000 food-insecure children in South Jersey.
- Hunger Service Days — Volunteer groups and organizations can take action this month by making a donation of one box of food (roughly 55 cans) and a monetary donation. The groups can also be scheduled for a half-day of service at the Food Bank of South Jersey. To get involved please contact volunteer services at (856) 662–4884 x 160 or email volunteers@foodbankSJ.org for more information.
- Food Truck Friday — Come out to the Food Bank of South Jersey on Friday, Sept. 21 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and enjoy food from the best food trucks in the area, including: Beast of the Street, Tacos Al Carbon, Jeremiah’s Custom Cuisine, Moocheeze and Mr. Water Ice. The Food Bank will also be holding an Open House and tours of the Food Bank’s facility. A portion of all proceeds will be donated the Food Bank.
- Happy Hour at Double Nickel Brewery — After eating at the Food Truck Friday event head over to Double Nickel Brewery for Happy Hour, where 10 percent of all beer sales from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. will be donated to the Food Bank of South Jersey.
- Dine Out for Hunger — Take a bite out of hunger through this regional fundraising and public awareness campaign uniting restaurants and consumers in the fight against hunger. From Sunday, Sept. 23 to Saturday, Sept. 29 participating restaurants will donate at least 10 percent of their proceeds to the Food Bank of South Jersey.