Application deadline is Sept. 7 and plaques will be unveiled Oct. 7
On Oct. 20, 2014, Voorhees Township proudly started a tradition with the unveiling of the Voorhees Township Veterans Wall of Honor. The wall, which is located in the Voorhees Municipal Building at the Voorhees Town Center, honors residents or members of immediate families of residents who have served in the U.S. military, whether during peacetime or war.
Over the last four years, 381 veterans have been memorialized on the wall, representing every branch of the military and service dating back to the 1930’s. Voorhees Township is very proud to honor these men and women for the sacrifices they made in leaving home, family and friends to give of themselves for our country.
The Voorhees Township Veterans Wall of Honor is unique in that it offers more than just a name. Each veteran is honored with a plaque that includes his/her name, branch of service, date and place of service, awards/medals received, a photo, and if desired, a brief personal note about his/her service.
Voorhees plans to continue this tradition and is now accepting applications for the current year.
Eligibility is open to the following people:
• Current residents who have completed service in the U.S. military and have been honorably discharged. National Guard members who were deployed to a combat area, have completed their service and have been honorably discharged.
• Residents’ immediate family members who served in the U.S. military or the National Guard as stated above, and have been honorably discharged. Immediate family member means parent, spouse, sibling or child.
• Former residents who lived in Voorhees at the time of entry into the military and have been honorably discharged.
Applications may be obtained at the Office of the Township Clerk in Town Hall or may be downloaded from the homepage of the township website at www.voorheesnj.com. The Township will also be sending letters to veterans who have signed up for the Veterans Tax Deduction since May of last year.
There is no cost to the veteran or the veteran’s family for this tribute and no tax dollars were used to create the wall. The wall is made possible through private donations and volunteers.
The 2018 application deadline is Sept. 7. Plaques will be unveiled at a ceremony scheduled for Oct. 9. All applicants will receive a notice advising them of the ceremony date and time.
Should you have questions or need additional information, please contact Jeanette Schelberg at (609) 868–6338 or via email at email@example.com.
We are proud to honor those who bravely served our country!
- Our Summer Twilight Series concludes with our annual Movie Night in the Park on Saturday, Sept. 15. The popular animated comedy “Coco” will be shown on a state-of-the-art digital LED screen. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. at Connolly Park and is free.
- Voorhees Township is offering discounted tickets to Morey’s Piers in Wildwood. Tickets are available in the Municipal Clerk’s Office at Voorhees Town Hall. Prices vary according to the type of ticket and several options are available to residents and non-residents. For more information about tickets visit www.voorheesnj.com.