Clearview is one of 500 school districts around the country named to prestigious list
The Clearview Regional High School District was named to the National Association for Music Merchants’ (NAMM) Best Communities for Music Education (BCME) for 2018. According to NAMM, Best Community for Music Education “designations are given to districts and schools that demonstrate an exceptionally high commitment and consistent access to music education.” The Best Communities for Music Education list encompasses approximately 500 school districts from around the country, including only thirty from state of New Jersey. Clearview’s inclusion on the BCME list represents acknowledgement as one of the top three to four percent of school districts for music education in the country.
School districts went through a vetting process organized by NAMM and led by experts in the music education field. The application looked at the curricular offerings in the district, recent student and ensemble honors, numbers of students engaged in school music classes across all grade levels, extracurricular musical offerings, teacher qualifications, community engagement, district and administrative support, as well as other music events and opportunities open to students and teachers in the district. The Clearview Regional School District scored high in all categories based on a strong tradition of excellence in both curricular and extracurricular ensembles, opportunities for all students to be involved in both middle school and high school elective music classes and strong support from the community as well as school and district administrations.
This award continues a banner year for the music department in the Clearview Regional School District. Recent events and accolades include:
· The 8th grade choir performed at the Kimmel Center in December as part of the Philadelphia Orchestra’s holiday concert series.
· The 8th grade band and choir collaborated on a winter concert program that included a joint presentation of a winter medley.
· The Marching Band was a Tournament of Bands Group II Open Finalist, finishing seventh overall.
· The Vocale Ensemble were invited to perform holiday concerts at both Christmas Village and Longwood Gardens in the greater Philadelphia area.
· The Marching Band performed at the 2017 TaxSlayer Bowl in Jacksonville, Fl., performing alongside ensembles from seven other states on the eastern seaboard.
· A member of the marching band was selected to perform in the United States All-American Army Bowl Marching Band in San Antonio, Texas as one of the top student-musicians in the country.
· In February, the Honors Vocale Ensemble and Honors Wind Ensemble both performed at the 2018 NJMEA State Music Conference, the premier conference for music educators in the state.
· The Middle School and High School choir students performed alongside choir students from two other districts for the Tri-County Choral Festival, hosted at Clearview Regional High School.
· The High School and Middle School Jazz Bands performed a joint concert with the Rowan University Pep Band under the direction of our very own Mr. Gerry DeLoach.
· The Wind Ensemble was named the top ensemble at the Region III South Jersey Band Festival, earning an invitation to perform at the New Jersey State Gala later in April.
· The Vocale Ensemble and Middle School Choirs are performing “Carmina Burana” alongside the Rowan University Concert Choir as part of Romel McInnis’ Masters Recital.
· The Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, and Vocale Ensemble all participated in important community events and services, including a September 11th Remembrance Program and Memorial Day Events in Mantua, Mullica Hill and Wenonah.
· Individual students in the Clearview Regional School were named to the All-South Jersey Mixed Choir, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, the Olympic Conference Honors Band, the All-South Jersey Junior High Band, Jazz Band, and Choir, as well as the New Jersey All-State Mixed Choir.
· The Musical Theater Department completed two productions; “A Christmas Carol” in the winter and “The Little Mermaid” in the spring, both involved district-wide collaboration and featured over one hundred students.
· Select students from the Musical Theatre Department traveled to New York City to participate in a clinic with Eddie Korbich, a member of the original cast of “Little Mermaid” on Broadway, as well as choreographers from the Broadway hit “Dear Evan Hansen.”
· Students from choir, band, piano, and musical theatre will perform at the Gloucester County Teen Arts Festival.
· All students in the choir and band departments had the opportunity to work with professional conductors from Rowan University, The College of New Jersey, Drexel University and Temple University.
· Individual music students perform with the Rowan Youth Orchestra, Rowan Youth Brass Band, Philadelphia Sinfonia Players, the West Deptford Center Stage, Woodbury Sketch Club, Main State, the Hobo Band, and the Pitman Theatre, as well as numerous student-run ensembles and groups throughout the Mullica Hill community.
Information about the award designation, as well as the full list of schools can be found at the following link: https://www.nammfoundation.org/what-we-do/best-communities-music-education.