Mayor Mignogna discusses the township’s actions against stormy weather.
Now that winter has officially begun, keeping our roads safe and efficient are of utmost importance.
Voorhees recently completed the installation of a brine system at our Public Works Department for treating our roadways before snowstorms. The brine keeps ice from forming on roads, but only works when temperatures are above 23 degrees and cannot be used in extremely cold situations.
Our Public Works employees will plow and salt the roads during snow conditions. Plowing is not effective until there is an accumulation of at least three inches of snow. Our drivers will apply salt before snow showers begin and continue to salt during the entirety of the snowfall. Main roads, intersections and hills are our first priority followed by secondary streets and courts.
Please move vehicles off the street if possible.
The plows push snow to the sides of streets and accumulation of snow on driveway aprons is unavoidable. When clearing driveways and sidewalks, do not put the snow back into the street where it can cause a hazard for emergency vehicles. Once it stops snowing it takes approximately ten hours for our crews to complete the snow removal process.
During cold emergencies, Code Blue plans will be initiated. If you or someone you know loses heat or needs protection from the elements, Voorhees Township, along with the Camden County Health Department and the Office of Emergency Management, have worked to ensure that we have proper resources in place.
Every municipality in the County has identified locations to accommodate residents seeking shelter from the severe weather. Voorhees has identified the Voorhees Library, 203 Laurel Road (856) 772–1636 and the Voorhees Town Center, 2120 Voorhees Town Center (856) 772–6400.
Other emergency phone numbers to keep on hand during the winter season are:
- Atlantic City Electric 1–800–833–7476 / www.atlanticcityelectric.com/home.
- PSE&G 1–800–436–7734 / www.pseg.com/home/customer_service/outage_info/index.jsp.
- NJ American Water 1–800–272–1325 / www.amwater.com.
- South Jersey Gas 1–800–582–7060 / www.southjerseygas.com.
- Verizon 1–800–837–4966 / www.verizon.com.
- Comcast -1–800934–6489 / www.xfinity.com.
- Camden county public works 856–566–2980 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Voorhees township public works (856) 428–5499 www.voorheesnj.com.
We hope you enjoy the winter and remain safe.