Do Something: block parties, festivals and other fun activities around South Jersey and Philadelphia
With spring in full swing, residents can enjoy block parties, festivals and other fun activities from the Jersey Shore to the city of Philadelphia. Check out what fun events are taking place this weekend.
- Katz JCC will hold its 2017 Kidsland event on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the JCC. The event will feature more than 100 activities for children, including amusement rides and games, pony rides, a rock climbing wall, inflatables, the Virtua teddy bear clinic, touch-a-truck, a DJ and more. Admission is $5 per person. Children under the age of 2 are admitted for free. Visit www.katzjcc.org for more information.
- The Jewish Christian Muslim Dialogue of Southern New Jersey’s annual Breaking Bread event will take place in Cherry Hill on Sunday. The event will begin at 2 p.m. at the Carman Tilelli Community Center. The theme for the event is Hate Has No Home Here. The purpose of the event is to bring together South Jersey residents to reaffirm their shared commitment to zero tolerance for hate and bigotry. Admission is free, but seating is limited. To pre-register, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Around South Jersey
- Residents can learn about public safety at the Palmyra Fire Department’s Palmyra Public Safety Day event on Saturday. The event will take place at Independence Fire Company on West Broad Street from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be activities, vendors and live music throughout the afternoon. The event is free to attend. For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/PalmyraFire.
- More than 100 vendors will be at the Gloucester County 4-H Fairgrounds at 275 Bridgeton Pike in Mullica Hill on Saturday from the seventh annual Gloucester County Craftsmen and Home Show. The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. It will feature more than 100 craftsmen, food vendors, a home and garden expo, farm market, pony ride, live entertainment, shopping and more. The rain date is Sunday. There is no cost to attend. Visit www.sjpumpkinshow.com/GloucesterCraftFair.htmlfor more information.
At the Jersey Shore
- Celebrate spring in Ocean City this weekend with the city’s Spring Block Party. The event takes place on Asbury Avenue between 5th and 14th streets from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday. There will be more than 350 crafters, food vendors, music and more. The event is free to attend. For more information, call (1–800) BEACH-NJ or visit www.oceancityvacation.com.
- On Saturday night, runners will converge on Beachcomber Camping Resort, 462 Seashore Road in Cape May, to take part in the 2K17 Glow Run. Check-in begins at 7 p.m. with the run beginning at 8 p.m. A black light dance party with live music and selfie stations will follow the run. The cost is $25 for runners. The cost is $10 for non-runners who are attending the dance party. Proceeds will benefit Wildwood Catholic High School. To sign up, visit www.active.com/cape-may-nj/running/distance-running-races/2k17-glow-run-2017?int
- South Street will be rocking on Saturday for the annual South Street Spring Festival. The event takes place on South Street between Front and 8th streets, plus at 2nd Street Plaza from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. There will be more than 30 restaurants and bars serving food and drinks, entertainment on three stages, a family fun zone, more than 100 artists and retailers, and more. The event is free and open to the public. Food and drink is pay as you go. For a full schedule of activities, visit www.southstreet.com.
- Chestnut Hill will turn into an outdoor garden marketplace on Sunday for the 21st annual Chestnut Hill Home and Garden Festival. The event will take place along Germantown Avenue from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. There will garden displays, activities, music, food and more. The event is free to attend. For more information, visit https://chestnuthillpa.com/events/home-garden-festival-2.
To see more events taking place in Philadelphia this weekend, visit www.philadelphiaweekly.com.