YMCA is holding a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active.
On Saturday, April 29, from 1 to 4 p.m., the YMCA of Burlington and Camden Counties is holding a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active at the annual YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well-being for kids and families. In addition to Healthy Kids Day, the Y is offering both membership and Summer Camp specials.
This year’s Healthy Kids Day takes place at the Mt. Laurel YMCA located at 59 Centerton Road and features activities such as family group fitness classes, painting/coloring activities, Soccer for Success shoot-outs, games and more to motivate and teach families how to develop healthy routines at home.
The first 1,000 children in attendance will receive free giveaways. This event is free and open to the public. Additionally, there will be exhibits from the Mount Laurel Fire Department, Army training games and a visit from the Burlington County Library Book Mobile. Healthy snacks will be provided by the Silver Diner.
In conjunction with Healthy Kids Day, those who join the Y can pay one low price beginning April 28 and enjoy the Y through August 27 by taking advantage of their Summer Membership Special, with individuals paying $99 and families paying $129. Additionally, those who register and pay in full for two weeks or more of Day Camp on from April 28 through May 1 May 1 can take advantage of the Y’s Waive the Program Member fee special and save up to $200 on the cost of camp.
“When a child is healthy, happy, motivated and excited, something amazing is inevitably going to result,” says Bill Emerson, Chair, Board of Governors, YMCA of Burlington and Camden Counties. “We believe in the potential of all children, and we strive to help kids find that potential within themselves. A child’s development is never on vacation and Healthy Kids Day is a great opportunity to educate families and motivate kids to stay active in spirit, mind and body throughout the summer.”
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at over 1,600 Ys across the country by over 1.2 million participants, works to get more kids moving and learning, creating healthy habits that they continue all summer long. When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles that prevent them from reaching their full potential. Research shows that without access to out-of-school learning activities, kids fall behind academically — this summer learning loss is more pronounced among students from low-income families. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. As spring turns to summer, Healthy Kids Day is a powerful reminder not to let children idle away their summer days. Instead, the Y wants families to focus on “charging” kids up with enthusiasm for themselves and their potential.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
· High Five the Fruits and Veggies — Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development. And to keep kids’ taste buds evolving, have everyone in the family try at least one bite of a new fruit or vegetable at least once a month.
· Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books — Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
· Team Up for Athletic Events — Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs, bike rides, etc.
· Volunteer Together — Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
· Make sleep a priority — Doctors recommend 10–12 hours of sleep a day for children ages five through 12 and 7–8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
All kids deserve the best summer ever, and Delta is proud to be the national sponsor of Healthy Kids Day, which kicks off a healthy, active and engaged summer for kids throughout the country. Locally, Healthy Kids Day is sponsored by New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Group, Virtua Health System and SJ Magazine.
For more information, call the Mt. Laurel Welcome Center at (856) 231–9622 ext. 215 or visit http://www.ymca-bc.org/events/healthy-kids-day-2/.