Residents can also visit the National Constitution Center on President’s Day for free.
Some residents will be enjoying a long, President’s Day weekend beginning on Saturday. But even those who have to go to work on Monday can still have fun over the next two days. Check out what’s going on around the region this weekend:
Around South Jersey
- Chili lovers will want to be in Tabernacle this weekend for the Tabernacle United Methodist Church’s eighth annual Community Wide Chili Cook-Off. The event takes place on Saturday beginning at 6 p.m. at the church. Anyone who wants to enter the cook-off can do so for free by calling (609) 792–2603. Non-entrants can attend and try all different kinds of chili, as well as an open salad and bread bar, and beverages. Prizes will be awarded to the top vote getters. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for kids. Tabernacle United Methodist Church is located at 166 Carranza Road in Tabernacle.
- Engaged couples will want to be at the Mansion on Main Street on Saturday for the Spring Spectacular Wedding Show. The event takes place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at The Mansion on Main Street, 3000 Main Street, in Voorhees. Sample hors d’oeuvres, meet vendors and wedding specialists and tour the ballrooms. Admission is free. All brides are eligible to win great gifts. To register, visit www.mansionweddingshow.com.
- The Cherry Hill Public Library’s Black History Movie Series continues on Saturday with a screening of “An American Girl Story — Melody 1963.” Fans of American Girl doll Melody Ellison will see her story come to life in this live action special film about the fictional civil rights era girl. The movie is free to attend. Visit www.chplnj.org for more information.
At the Jersey Shore
- It’s Polar Bear Plunge weekend in Sea Isle City. Enjoy a weekend full of festivities at the LaCosta Lounge, 3000 Landis Avenue in Sea Isle City. There will be a costume contest at noon on Saturday, followed by the Polar Bear Plunge at 2 p.m. on the JFK Boulevard Beach. A post-plunge party and costume contest awards ceremony will follow the plunge. On Sunday, there will be 5K run and 1.5-mile fun walk for autism beginning at noon on the Promenade. For more information on any of the weekend events, visit www.lacosta-seaisle.com.
- Enjoy some exciting Futsal action this weekend at the Wildwoods Convention Center, 4501 Boardwalk in Wildwood. The U.S. Futsal Northeast Regional Championship will be taking place all weekend. Futsal is an action-packed, international form of indoor soccer. More than 5,000 players will compete in various age brackets. Prizes will be awarded to the top teams and players. Games will take place from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Admission is $10 per day or $20 for the weekend. Visit www.futsal.com for more information.
- The Mummers will be coming to Manayunk this weekend for the annual Mummers Mardi Gras Parade. The parade will begin at Shurs Lane at 11 a.m. on Saturday and proceed down the length of Main Street. Following the parade, visitors are invited to visit participating restaurants serving as String Band Clubhouses for the afternoon. The event is free to attend. The rain date is Sunday. For more information and a list of participating restaurants, visit www.mummersmardigras.com.
- Those looking for something to do on President’s Day can visit the National Constitution Center for free. Admission is free all day Monday from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Learn about the role of a president in the government and what it takes to be president. Guests can also join in a special Presidential Tour of the museum’s main exhibition. For more information, visit www.constitutioncenter.org.
To see more events taking place in Philadelphia this weekend, visit www.philadelphiaweekly.com.