Residents wishing to run in this November’s upcoming school board election have less than two weeks to turn in their petition.
The deadline for residents to file for this November’s school board election is Monday, July 25. Residents must turn in their completed petition to the Burlington County clerk’s office no later than 4 p.m. that afternoon to have their name on the ballot for the election.
In Burlington County, nomination petitions can be downloaded at www.co.burlington.nj.us/DocumentCenter/View/3472 or can be picked up at the clerk’s office. The county clerk’s office is located at Courts Building, 49 Rancocas Road, Room 104, Mount Holly, N.J. 08060, and the days and business hours during which the office is open to receive petitions are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Completed petitions can be dropped off in person at the clerk’s office.
To run for board of education, residents:
• Must be a United States citizen
• Must be at least 18 years old
• Must be able to read and write
• Must be a resident of the municipality running in for at least one year
• Must not be holding any other elected office or another office in the local municipality and county
• Have no claim, interest in or contract with the board of education
To complete a nomination petition, each resident must get the signatures of at least 10 registered voters living in the district. Candidates must also adhere to all state requirements to file campaign-expense reports with the New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission.
For more information on running for school board, visit www.njsba.org/about/candidacy.