On Tuesday, March 31, Voorhees Township will begin a new single stream recycling collection program. All homes that have their trash collected in blue trash carts will now have their recycling collected in green recycle carts utilizing side-arm trucks. The yellow recycle buckets will no longer be used for recycling collection but should be kept by residents and used for vegetation and yard waste.
One 95-gallon green recycle cart will be delivered to each home between March 16 and March 27. The Voorhees Township Guide to Residential Waste Disposal and the Voorhees Township Guide to Single Stream Recycling will be attached to your new green recycle cart. In addition to providing information about items to recycle, these guides will provide information about the disposal of every type of residential waste. Please keep these two guides for reference.
Over the last 3 years, our community has recycled 62 percent of all residential waste, saving the Township $2,536,288 in trash disposal fees. These recycled materials were re-used in product manufacturing and helped the environment by preventing tons of CO2-equivalent gases from entering the atmosphere.
Unlike our present recycling program which requires three members of our Public Works Department on each truck, the new system is more efficient and needs only a truck driver. Workers thus become available for other DPW needs.
Please keep these points in mind for the new single stream recycling program:
- Only recyclable items placed in the green recycle cart will be collected.
- Do not place trash or vegetation in the green recycle cart.
- Place the green recycle cart curbside instead of the yellow recycle bucket.
- Recyclable items placed in the yellow bucket will not be collected.
- Your existing yellow bucket may be used for vegetation/yard waste disposal.
- Recyclable items left on the ground will not be collected.
- Cardboard should be flattened when placed in the green recycle cart.
- Your trash and recycle collection day will remain the same.
- Each home will receive one green recycle cart, which is bar coded and assigned to your home. If you move, the cart must remain at the original address.
- Additional recycle carts can be purchased through the Tax Office by calling (856) 429–7762. The cost is $65 per cart.
- Green recycle carts will be collected the same way as the blue trash carts. A driver will operate a side-arm recycle truck to collect the carts.
- Leave a four foot clearance around each cart (Recycle & Trash) so that they can be collected in a safe manner.
Any questions concerning the new single stream recycling program can be directed to the Voorhees Township Department of Public Works at email@example.com or (856) 428–5499.
Thank you to all Voorhees residents for your recycling efforts.
**The 7th Annual Alicia Rose Victorious 5k Run/Walk will be held on Sunday, March 29 beginning at 10 a.m. at Virtua Hospital, 200 Bowman Dr. in Voorhees. Cost is $25 for participants 19 and older and $15 for ages 5 to 18. The ARVF installs Teen Lounges in hospitals throughout the world.
**The Voorhees Business Association’s Annual Bowling Fundraiser will be held on Friday, March 27 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 30 Strikes Lanes, 501 South White Horse Pike in Stratford. Bowling lanes will be available for individuals and groups with a maximum of six bowlers per lane. For $20, an individual bowler will be teamed up with other bowlers. A $95 donation gets one lane for six bowlers and includes pizza and a pitcher of soda. For $100, a corporate sponsorship, the group gets one lane and signage. A $150 corporate sponsorship gets one lane with signage, bowling for up to six bowlers, a free pizza and a pitcher of soda. There will also be a basket auction and a 50/50 raffle. For more information about the event or to register, visit www.voorheesbusinessassociation.org or send a check to the VBA, PO Box 349, Voorhees, NJ 08043.