The Department of Parks & Recreation is proud to announce changes to its beloved community based, Summer Theater programs. Each summer, the Summer Theater Program fills to capacity and offers local youth the opportunity to play, learn and commune with their friends in a safe and protected environment. Summer of 2015 will boast the expansion of this half-decade old institution by adding the Summer Theater Teen Program. This summer, teenagers, who have grown and developed within the loving and supportive arms of the Summer Theater Program will have the opportunity to continue their love of theater through the Summer Theater Teen Program.
What makes the Summer Theater Productions so special is their all-inclusive theater experience. The original Summer Theater Program has always boasted a highly creative staff and actors. Actors as young as 7 are incorporated into every element of the production: from working in small groups under the leadership of older children, to building sets and making costumes. Under the direction of Sarah Dugan of Arden Theater, Philadelphia, this dynamic group of over 100 children creates a nationally acclaimed theatrical production through their own efforts. Acting, singing and dancing are only the beginning of the theatrical experience in the Summer Theater Program. Every element of production is covered in this intensive, six-week program. Summer Theater 2015 is proud to announce “High School Musical, Jr.” as its 2015 Summer Production. Auditions are scheduled for June 22 and 23 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at William Allen Middle School. Show dates are July 29 to Aug. 1. Camp runs daily from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Registration will be available soon.
Every year, the Summer Theater Program graduates its oldest performers leaving some without an opportunity to continue in this amazingly inventive program. This summer the Department of Parks & Recreation is proud to announce the all new Summer Theater Teen Program! The inaugural season will boast the highly acclaimed “Into The Woods, Jr.” This spectacular musical will offer teens the opportunity to continue with their love of theater through the time honored tradition of Parks & Recreation. Auditions for “Into the Woods, Jr.” will be held June 22 and 23 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at WAMS. The camp runs daily from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and registration will be available soon.
For more information about the Department of Parks & Recreation Summer Programs please contact the department at (856) 914–3093 or check the township website at www.moorestown.nj.us and choose “Parks & Recreation” on the lower, right side of the home page.
— — — –
Parks & Rec Happenings: (calendar of upcoming events)
- Live Civilly Homework Help Homework Help will return Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Interested in volunteering? Contact Kahra Buss at email@example.com.
- Yoga for teens and adults is Thursday evenings from 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.
- Second Grade Basketball Clinic, with new instructors and new moves, has openings available. Visit www.moorestownrec.com to register!
- Summer Employment Applications for Summer Parks Program, Summer Theater, Counselors, CITs and camps are available at the Moorestown Department of Parks & Recreation, second floor Church Street Recreation Center. Applications must be picked up in person.
- Open Gym is Mondays through Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. for grades four through 12; Fridays from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.; and Saturdays is Third Floor Fun (games, activities, etc.) from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Special Needs Programs available are Music Therapy class and Social Skills classes. Information at www.moorestown.nj.us (Parks & Recreation). To register please visit www.moorestownrec.com.
- Special Needs Social Skills/Keyboarding and Handwriting begins Feb. 6 and runs for six weeks.
- Balanced Athletics, Girls B Fit, Core Training and more is available!
- Group Piano Lessons is in the Church Street Recreation Center Music Studio.
- Arts Programming available are Winter Arts Adventures — Visual Arts and Ceramics.
- Dance classes available are Intro to Jazz, Creative Ballet, Pre-School Ballet and more.
- EXIT 4 Boot Camp is Mondays through Thursdays and Saturdays. Pick your day and pick your time.
- A daily bus is available from William Allen Middle School to Church Street Recreation Center with a 2:35 p.m. departure daily.
Missed a registration date? Like us on Facebook at Moorestown Parks & Recreation for up to date information about programs and events. Want to register for an upcoming program? Register at www.moorestownrec.com.