There are many local programs to keep our youngest community members active, but the Department of Parks & Recreation has made a concerted effort to provide a wide variety of programs for active adults. Programs are available all year long on a variety of levels so there is something for everyone.
During the winter months, adults interested in trying their hand at Pickleball are invited to join the Moorestown Pickleball league. Pickleball is one of the fastest growing adult league sports in the United States. A fun and active sport that is a cross between ping pong, badminton and tennis, players are able to play indoors and then move to outdoor courts in warmer weather. To try a Pickleball session contact the department for league play times.
The Adult Co-Ed Volleyball League is the perfect opportunity for active men and women to engage in friendly competition for 16 weeks beginning in early January. Individuals can register and request team placement or register as part of a team. Active adults looking for a fun and competitive environment are invited to inquire. The Adult Ultimate Bowling League is another choice for adults seeking active choices. Weekly competition and comradery offer active adults the opportunity to meet others interested in these enjoyable leagues.
Sundays host the Men’s 35 + Basketball League which is another outlet for active adults seeking friendly competition. Every Sunday morning the hardwood thunders with the sound of pounding feet and basketballs. Play is open to all men 35 and over and is a great way to commune with other adults enjoying physical activity.
Yoga continues to be a favorite end of day activity. Every Thursday evening, the third floor of the Rec Center allows a quiet retreat for adults looking to ease tension and melt stress. Additionally, the Department of Parks & Recreation offers a wide variety of personal fitness options. From Core Strength Training to Exit 4 Boot Camp to Yoga adult programs are offered to adults wishing to maintain their personal fitness goals on any level.
In the spring, the department will offer an Active Adults Walking Club. This club will offer premeasured walking circuits, suggestions for adjusting difficulty, walking partners and a fitness goal program to help adults wishing to start a walking program, continue one already started or to connect with other adults wanting to become active outdoors.
For more information about programs and activities for adults please check the Department of Parks & Recreation website www.moorestown.nj.us/content/207/243/261/default.aspx or the registration site www.moorestownrec.com. There truly is something for everyone!
— — — — -
Parks & Rec Happenings: (calendar of upcoming events)
- Live Civilly Homework Help Homework Help will return Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Interested in volunteering? Contact Kahra Buss at email@example.com.
- Yoga for teens and adults is Thursday evenings from 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.
- Second Grade Basketball Clinic, with new instructors and new moves, has openings available. Visit www.moorestownrec.com to register!
- Adult Mixed League Bowling started Jan. 7 at 6:30 p.m. Spaces are still available!
- Summer Employment Applications for Summer Parks Program, Summer Theater, Counselors, CITs and camps are available at the Moorestown Department of Parks & Recreation, second floor Church Street Recreation Center. Applications must be picked up in person.
- Open Gym is Mondays through Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. for grades four through 12; Fridays from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.; and Saturdays is Third Floor Fun (games, activities, etc.) from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Special Needs Programs available are Music Therapy class and Social Skills classes. Information at www.moorestown.nj.us (Parks & Recreation). To register please visit www.moorestownrec.com.
- Balanced Athletics, Girls B Fit, Core Training and more is available!
- Group Piano Lessons is in the Church Street Recreation Center Music Studio.
- Arts Programming available are Winter Arts Adventures — Visual Arts and Ceramics.
- Dance classes available are Intro to Jazz, Creative Ballet, Pre-School Ballet and more.
- EXIT 4 Boot Camp is Mondays through Thursdays and Saturdays. Pick your day and pick your time.
- A daily bus is available from William Allen Middle School to Church Street Recreation Center with a 2:35 p.m. departure daily.
Missed a registration date? Like us on Facebook at Moorestown Parks & Recreation for up to date information about programs and events. Want to register for an upcoming program? Register at www.moorestownrec.com.