The faces may look familiar but the responsibilities are changing as the Shamong Township Committee swore in a new mayor and deputy mayor for 2014.
Kenneth Long, who had been serving as the township’s deputy mayor, will serve as mayor with former mayor Sean Gray now serving as deputy mayor.
“I’m excited for the opportunity to serve and for the opportunity to work with these great committeemen in this great township,” Long said.
Gray had served as Shamong’s mayor since Jon Shevelew’s retirement in August.
Committeemen Tim Gimbel and Michael DiCroce were sworn in as well. Both men had run unopposed in November’s election. Each term will expire Dec. 31, 2016. This is DiCroce’s first elected term on the committee. He had been appointed by the committee previously in the wake of Shevelew’s retirement.
In other news:
• The committee authorized the award of a fair and open contract for professional services with Douglas Heinold as township solicitor. Dante Guzzi Engineering Associates, LLC will again serve as township engineer.
• T.C. Irons was appointed as risk management consultant for the year ending Dec. 31. Inverso and Stewart, LLC will serve as the township auditor.
• Sue Onorato will continue to be the township’s jill of all trades serving as administrator, clean community coordinator, public agency compliance officer, board of health secretary and recycling coordinator.
• Gray, Gimbel, DiCroce, Martin Mozitis, Long, Onorato, Barbara Valenzano, Charles Burgin, Stanley Rowe, Thomas Gerber, Ed Moniot, Joseph Reinhart, Timothy Rowe, and Dave Taylor were appointed as members of the emergency management council for a one year term ending Dec. 31
• Long, Onorato, Norman Welsh, Ed Moniot, Dante Guzzi, Timothy Rowe, Burgin, John Carney, Stanley Rowe were appointed as members of the hazard mitigation committee for a one year term
• The committee appointed M and R Wildlife Removal, Inc. as certified animal control officer and awarded their contract for these services as per the fee schedule submitted for the year.
• The committee will hold a workshop meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 28 at 7:30 p.m.