Eastern Regional High Schools 2011 spring musical, Cats, was recognized this week by the Greater Philadelphia Cappies organization for production excellence by receiving 17 award nominations.
Cappies, or the “Critics and Awards Program,” is an endeavor through which high school theater and journalism students are trained as critics, attend shows at other schools, write reviews, and publish those reviews in local newspapers. The GPC then nominates schools based on their performance along with the quality of the Cappies student reviews.
At the end of the school year, student critics vote for awards that are presented at a formal Cappies Gala. In July and August, many of the top award honorees from around the United States and Canada are invited to participate in the Cappies International Theater, where they perform shows at the John F. Kennedy Center.
Here is a list of the Eastern High School nominees:
• Sound: Heather Krupinski, Dan Leonard, Ryan Proctor
• Lighting: Jon Kudzmas, Sarah Lang, Brad Lieber, Michelle Schneyder
• Sets: Caral Windt, Miceala Freund
• Make-up: Sami Adamson, Audrey Williams
• Props and Effects: Bhavish Malkani (magic effects)
• Ensemble in a Musical: Macavity Dancers
• Featured Actress: Adora Goldovsky
• Featured Actor: Ankeet Ball
• Dancer: Sabrina Shea
• Ensemble Dancers: Jellicle Ball
• Female Vocalist: Joanna Sobieski
• Male Vocalist: Chris Cortez
• Supporting Actor in a Musical: Darryl Farrar
• Lead Actress in a Musical: Julia Udine
• Lead Actor in a Musical: Brandon Davis
• Best Song Performance in a Musical: “Growltiger’s Last Stand”
• Best Musical
Final awards will be presented at the Cappies Gala at the Upper Darby Performing Arts Center on Sunday, May 15, at 5:30 p.m., according to Eastern representatives. Because Eastern was nominated in the Best Song Performance category, cast members will perform at the gala.