The following was taken from reports on file with Haddon Fire Company №1:
Haddon Fire Company №1 responded to a reported dwelling fire at 3:38 a.m. Dec. 17 at 140 West End Ave.. Upon arrival, there was a heavy smoke condition on the first floor of the home. Firefighters were able to search and locate the fire behind the kitchen cabinets in a wall adjacent to the living room fireplace chimney. The fire was promptly extinguished and there was minimal fire extension to other parts of the home. The cause of the fire, which appears to be related to the fireplace chimney system, is under investigation by the Camden County Fire Marshal’s Office.
The homeowner was sleeping at the time of the fire and was awoken by the audible sound from the home smoke alarm system. Haddon Fire Company officials acknowledged that the home smoke detectors and prompt notification to the fire department resulted in no injuries, quick extinguishment of the fire and relatively minor damage to the home. All residents are urged to install smoke detectors in every room of their home, check the batteries in existing smoke detectors and to confirm proper operation of their entire home smoke alarm system.